January 6th newsletter
Category : Newsletters
Here is the link to the January 6th newsletter
The Top 5:
- In the American Catholic News section, I have a special section on legal concerns. There’s quite a few articles which raise issues such as church-state relations, employment contracts, pregnancy, embezzlement, past abuse, etc. We need to read these articles and imagine how we would respond if faced with the same dilemmas.
- In the Leadership section, “Schools as Places of Joy” is a reminder of what makes every school excellent—joy. We can’t leave out the joy in pursuit of excellence.
- In the same section, the article from the Wharton School on “Does Fear Motivate Workers—or Make Things Worse?” is thought-provoking. We often try to move students away from extrinsic rewards toward the intrinsic motivators but are we doing the same for our staffs?
- In the Miscellaneous section, the “Relentlessness of Modern Parenting” from the New York Times points out the reasons behind the anxiety epidemic. Parents are often the ones afraid of missing out!
- Small classes and personal attention have become aspirational for all schools. But they weren’t always such high priorities. A Libertarian entrepreneur has been building low-cost charter schools with a different approach. While you might not agree with his approach or his assumptions, it’s worth watching this video in order to clarify your own assumptions.